Menu Close

What Can You Use to Kill Mold In the House?

Mold infestation brings so many problems with it to the house and its occupants. To begin with, mold exposure can be very harmful to your health since it is known to be the leading cause of most allergies and respiratory-related diseases such as asthma. If you happen to see signs of mold infestation in your home, do not panic because there are several home remedies to mold problems. However, if the problem is worse and you feel that it could affect your health negatively, then it is time to call a mold company for remedying and removal. This article looks at some things that you can do to deal with mold on you own.

  • Vinegar

Since mold is itself a fungi virus, vinegar does a good job in killing mold, as it is known to contain some anti-fungal properties that kill the mold. Studies show that vinegar kills about 28 percent of mold when sprayed on it. Mix one spoonful of vinegar with a cup of water and use a spray bottle to spray it over the infested surface. There are those few people, especially pregnant women, who find the pungent smell of vinegar very irritable. If you are one of them, use a nose mask and domestic gloves when spraying. Alternatively, you could add droplets of essential oil to the vinegar. After spraying, leave the surface for some minutes for the vinegar to dry, before using a hard brush to remove the already dead mold from the surface. You can spray one more time and leave it to dry to prevent future infestation.

  • Baking Soda

If the mold is quite strong, then you can also use baking soda with the mixture of vinegar and water or you could still mix a spoonful of baking soda alone, to a cupful of water. Similarly, use a squirt bottle to spray over the infected area and leave it for some time to dry. Afterward, use a dampened piece of cloth to wipe out the dead mold or try a hard brush if the mold is sticky to the surface.

  • Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is quite corrosive and reactive, hence great caution should be observed when dealing with it. You should wear personal protective equipment, gloves, and a respirator to protect yourself against hydrogen chloride. Ensure the windows are open so that the pungent smell can easily escape to the outside. However, if you feel that the smell is too irritable for you, then you can try diluting it with a few droplets of essential oil.

Add a cupful of hydrogen peroxide to a full bucket of water and mix thoroughly. Then, add the mixture to a knapsack sprayer and spray the contents all over the infested surface. Leave the surface for a few minutes to dry; about 30 minutes then use a dump piece of cloth to wipe the dead mold. With hydrogen peroxide, you do not have to use a hard brush to remove the mold since it is so corrosive that the mold will easily fall of the surface.

  • Ammonia

Just like with hydrogen peroxide, ensure to observe all safety precautions. Ensure that all the windows are open for maximum ventilation since ammonia is a little corrosive and its smell is unbearable. Many mold-killing products, such as bleach, contain some elements of ammonia and their usage is quite similar only that ammonia is only for use on surfaces that are not porous. It is important to first read all the usage directives on its label and it should never at any time, be mixed with bleach. Mix ammonia and water in equal 50/50 proportions and use a spray bottle to spray it over the infested surface. Leave it for a few minutes to dry off before scrubbing the dead mold with a brush.

  • Bleach

This is very effective on porous surfaces such as wood because on non-porous surfaces like vinyl walls, the mold-killing agent, chlorine would leave a trail of moisture, the same thing that causes mold growth in the first place. Again, read the usage directives on the label first before starting to work with bleach. The usage process is very similar to that of ammonia. However, note carefully to never mix bleach with ammonia, as this would produce some toxic fumes or vapors.

Fortunately, all the above-discussed home reagents to kill mold are readily available in most supplies stores and come at very low prices. They also do not require special skills or knowledge to use; you just follow the precautions written on the label carefully. Nevertheless, they might not be very effective in eliminating mold. Therefore, if you have a huge mold issue, you should consider contacting mold experts for assistance.