Is your home making you sick?
If your doctor believes you are being exposed to water-damage pathogens in your home, there is a strong probability they are correct. The environmental assessment and sampling of your home is the first step in understanding the levels of exposure. Then, a thorough inspection sets the road map for future decisions regarding the health of your home.
- Mental Health: Exposure to any mold, not just the mycotoxins producing molds like Stachybotrys chartarum and Chaetomium globosum, may be capable of causing brain inflammation, cognitive decline, and neurological effects. (dr. Shaw at great plains) a 2020 study shows a reversal of a child on the autistic spectrum by eradicating aspergillus
- Autoimmune disease: According to the National Institutes of Health (NIH), approximately 24 million Americans suffer from autoimmune disease, and that the prevalence is rising. Individuals with a compromised immune system are at a higher risk of impact when exposed to mold, mycotoxins, and other indoor pathogens. Symptoms will vary based on the type and location of the faulty immune response. Common symptoms include:
- General ill feeling (malaise)
- Joint pain
- CIRS: Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS) is a multi-system, multi-symptom illness caused by exposure to certain biotoxins in water-damaged buildings, including mold. According to Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker (a top authority on mold illness), 24% of the population is susceptible to their genetics. Patients experiencing CIRS often go misdiagnosed or without a diagnosis because their symptoms mimic other conditions. Common misdiagnoses include:
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS)
- Depression and Anxiety
- Somatization (ex. Hypochondria)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADD/ADHD)
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Lyme Disease: According to CDC, approximately 300,000 people per year are diagnosed with Lyme Disease. Extrapolate over the next ten years, there will be at least 3 million additional people with mold susceptibility in the U.S. Signs and symptoms of early Lyme disease include:
- Characteristic skin rash, called erythema migraines
- Chills and fever
- Muscle and joint pain
- Swollen lymph nodes
DISCLAIMER: CMA and CMA staff are not medical doctors, dieticians, nor nutritionists. We do not hold degrees in medicine, dietetics, or nutrition. We make no claims to any specialized medical training, nor do we dispense medical advice or prescriptions. This content is not intended to diagnose or treat any diseases. It is designed to be provided for informational, educational, and self-empowerment purposes ONLY. Please consult with your doctor or wellness team if you have any questions regarding any of the information provided here, and then make your own well-informed decisions based upon what is best for your unique genetics, culture, conditions, and stage of life.
Mold is a health, science, and medical concern. Spread the word and stay healthy!
Certified Mold Assessments is more than a “Mold Testing” company. We work closely with the health and wellness community and are passionate about education and our community’s health. Truly understanding mold from a medical and scientific point of view, its symptoms and attributes can go a long way to improving peoples lives. The best way to solve mold problems is to prevent it from getting a foothold in the first place. We literally work with dozens of doctors throughout Florida and other parts of the United States sharing information, creating awareness, and improving the health of our fellow citizens.
Mold can be scary but knowledge is power! We do not feel our job is to simply “test” for mold, or even remove it. Our job is to diagnose, solve, and help our communities to be mold free in the future. Its a battle, but we love what we do and the impact is rewarding. Let’s get the facts about mold to spread instead of mold itself! An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure!
Here we will discuss mold from a medical and scientific perspective so that you can understand mold better and prevent it from getting started to begin with. In addition, we will share articles, medical white papers and the like so that you and your loved ones can stay safe. Our goal is to bring you the latest and most accurate information from credible sources. Feel free to contact us with any direct questions as well.
We want your environment at work and at home to be safe and contaminant free!
Recommended Health and Medical Documents, Journals, & Resources:
- EPA’s Publication (PDF): Indoor Air Pollution: An Introduction for Health Professionals, assists health professionals in diagnosis of patient symptoms that could be related to an indoor air pollution problem. It addresses the health problems that may be caused by contaminants encountered daily in the home and office.
- EPA Direct Link to Mold Information
- EPA’s Publication (PDF): A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home