Menu Close

Is There a Way to Get Rid of Mold Naturally?

Many homeowners use chlorine bleach whenever they are faced with a mold problem. While it may seem to work in the short term, it can be costly in the long run as it poses a significant threat to your health and property. The harsh chemical products used to get rid of mold can cause damage to the surface being cleaned, which may attract unnecessary costs of repair. It is still possible to get rid of mold naturally without causing health problems to people with allergies or damaging the affected surfaces. This article looks at some of the natural ways to get rid of mold from your home.

Natural Products to Get Rid of Mold

  • Vinegar

Vinegar works well on moldy surfaces when it is sprayed directly onto the affected area. Diluting it with water only helps to cut the pungent scent but the best way is to use it straight up from the bottle and allow it to settle for a few minutes. Gently scrub the mold with a brush before rinsing the surface with warm water. You can either use a soft or hard brush depending on the texture of the affected surfaces. You can add some essential oils if you do not like the scent of vinegar as it leaves a more pleasing scent.

  • Hydrogen Peroxide

Hydrogen peroxide is an anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal solution that can be used to get rid of mold on a variety of surfaces such as bathroom walls, floors, fixtures, and kitchen appliances. Saturate the moldy surface with a 3% concentration of hydrogen peroxide solution and leave it for about 10 minutes. Gently scrub the area to loosen the mold and wipe the surface dry to remove any residual mold spores.

  • Baking Soda

Baking soda is a mild white mineral powder that not only kills mold but also absorbs excess moisture, which accelerates the growth of mold. Mix a quarter tablespoon of baking soda with water and spray it to the moldy area. Use a scrub brush to remove mold from the affected surface and then rinse with water to get rid of residual mold. Baking soda is sometimes mixed with vinegar to create a stronger solution for killing mold.

  • Tea Tree Oil

Using tea tree oil offers many benefits over bleach and ammonia cleaning products because it works well as a natural cleaner and a mold prevention agent. Although it may not pricier compared to other natural products, a small amount of tea tree oil can go a long way in getting rid of black mold from your home. Tea tree oil can be combined with water and clove oil to create a stronger natural solution for mold.

Get Rid of Mold by Improving Air Circulation 

One of the best ways to get rid of recurring mold is to cut off any sources of moisture that are necessary for its growth. If you have a flood or moisture build-up, you can use an industrial fan to dry the area. Other types of fans that can dry out mold include ceiling fans, kitchen exhaust fans, and bathroom fans. Using fans prevent mold spores from settling in the first place as they thrive well in areas with damp or humid conditions. A dehumidifier can also stop mold in its tracks by reducing the atmospheric pressure in your home.

You can also open your windows whenever the weather allows as it helps to improve the air circulation in your home. Opening doors or windows on opposite sides of your home create cross-ventilation that carries with it the excess moisture and humidity. If there is not enough breeze, you can stimulate cross-ventilation by pointing a fan inward into your living space.

When to Call in Mold Professionals

Treating mold over a large area can be risky, especially when you do not know how far it goes. If you have tried all the natural solutions but encounter recurring mold, then it is important to call in a mold professional. They can help identify hidden mold and address the source of the problem. Not only do they have experience in dealing with mold problems but they also offer solutions of how to prevent mold by keeping excess moisture at bay.

Getting rid of mold using natural alternatives is not only safe to use but is also safe for the environment. Chemical-based cleaners can cause extensive damage to the affected surface and can also be toxic when inhaled. It is also important to use preventative measures such as improving the air circulation in your home. This cuts off any traces of moisture that may accelerate the growth of mold.