Menu Close

How Do You Know You Are Dealing with Toxic Mold in Your Home?

Mold invasion is a serious issue for many homeowners as it leads to health problems and may cause extensive damage to property. Mold remediation is very expensive if mold spreads over a large area in your home. Waiting until it is too late to control the situation puts you in danger of extreme mold exposure. It is important to take immediate action once you start experiencing the signs and symptoms of toxic mold. Many people are not always aware of the presence of mold while some choose to ignore the issue until it becomes a big problem. This article looks into the signs and symptoms that you are dealing with toxic mold in your home.

  1. Severe Allergy Reactions

Some allergies tend to flare up when you are at home but you seem fine when you are away from home. This may be a sign that your indoor air quality is compromised and that something is causing the reactions. Inhaling mold spores that linger in the air can irritate your respiratory system. Because of this reason, your body reacts through sneezing, coughing, wheezing, runny nose or watery eyes. You may also feel itchy since mold spores irritate when they encounter your skin. If you experience any of the above symptoms, you need to go for a medical checkup as it helps identify the underlying cause of your condition or confirm the presence of mold toxicity in your body system.

  1. Musty Odor

It is more likely that mold may be hidden somewhere around your house if you notice a weird smell every time you enter a certain room. Mold has an unpleasant odor that is sometimes referred to as earthy or pungent smell. Using air freshener products only acts as a temporary solution and the best way you can get rid of the musty odor is by addressing the root cause of the problem. If you cannot find any signs of mold after a thorough search, it is a good idea to call in a mold professional. They may have to remove the plastering, wallpaper, or even tiles to see if mold is hiding underneath.

  1. Discoloration on Walls

You may start to notice visible dark rings and spots on your walls indicating the possibility of water damage. It is an early sign that toxic mold could be lurking in your house since moisture is vital for its growth and existence. Even if you cannot see any mold, it is a sign that you have pooling water on your ceiling or cracks in your walls that trap moisture. Although other homeowners may choose to get rid of the situation using disinfectants and bleaching products, it is important to address the water problem as soon as possible. Otherwise, it may cause extensive damage to your property that attracts costly repairs.

  1. Visible Signs of Mold Growth

Many people cannot tell whether they are dealing with toxic mold as they confuse the black spots with soot or dirt that might have accumulated over the past few days. Mold usually starts as small patches before growing and spreading over a wide area. It tends to grow and multiply faster in a damp environment because it has the ideal temperature and conditions that support its growth. If there is an area in your home that experiences constant moisture or high levels of humidity, you are likely to encounter visible mold growth. While some may appear as clusters of black spots, they may also take other color forms such as dark green, gray, white or brown.

  1. Squishy Floor

A soft spot in your hardwood floor is an indicator of rot caused by water problems. Moisture that is trapped underneath your floor creates an ideal recipe for mold growth. You may also notice some color changes on the tiny spaces between the boards. Rotten wood not only causes mold to grow but can also lead to costly repairs if it is not replaced. The best way to ensure you do not encounter a mold problem is to have the entire flooring changed.

If you notice any signs or symptoms of mold, it is recommended to seek medical attention as it could affect your health in a negative way. A mold inspection may be necessary if you have difficulties locating mold in your home. Addressing the problem by taking immediate action not only saves you from costly repairs but also keeps you in good health.