There are many things you should take into consideration before buying a house. It is quite difficult moving into a house that has a mold problem especially if it keeps recurring. Mold comes in different colors such as dark green, gray or black. Although most of them are visible to the eye and can be seen growing on various items, there are some molds that are always hidden.
Mold grows in areas where you cannot see such as under floors, between walls, on the ceiling and other places that are hard to reach. It only takes a matter of time before you see them again. It can be the worst encounter especially when you have just moved into your new house. There are several reasons why you need to test for mold before buying a home. Extreme exposure to mold makes people sick and you may suffer from allergies and other mold-related illnesses. Getting to know the status of the house you are buying gives you the assurance of safety in a home.
Reasons for Mold Testing before Buying a House
1. Mold Remediation is Expensive after Moving in
If you move into a home that is infested with molds, it can be quite difficult to treat and remove the mold problem. Furthermore, it is very expensive as it requires a special moisture-removal equipment to get rid of the contaminated materials. If you know the status of a home before moving in, it is easier to shift these expenses to the current owner of the house, as they will do what they can to keep the home safe.
2. Failure to Disclose the Mold Problem in Real Estate Transaction
Not all real estate agents will disclose the presence of mold in their property because there are different rules and regulations in distinct states. It is difficult to tell that there is a mold problem in a house just by looking at the furniture, walls, and its surroundings. In addition, these areas might have already been covered by paint. When this happens, you will not notice any signs of the mold during the purchase, and they might appear weeks after you have moved in. Mold testing can help you detect mold covered up by fresh paint, beneath the carpets, and any other areas that the previous homeowner could not disclose.
3. It Helps Protect Your Health
Testing for mold before buying a house gives you peace of mind because you will be moving into a safe and healthy environment. People who are allergic will react to mold exposure by sneezing, coughing, or wheezing. This condition may worsen over time before the hidden mold manifests itself on various surfaces and other items in the house. Mold testing allows you to safeguard the health of your family members and prevent mold-related illnesses because you will be aware of the level of mold exposure present in a home.
4. To Confirm there is no Existing Moisture
Another reason why you should get your house tested for mold before purchase is because it allows you to confirm if there are any sources of moisture. An old house may have a long history of floods or water damage that soaked up most of the items in the basement or other areas. This makes you vulnerable to residual mold growth that can be difficult to eradicate. Through mold testing, you are able to know if the remediation project was successful and no existing moisture will cause problems in future.
5. It Has a Significant Impact on Your Returns on Investment
Failure to test for the presence of mold in a new house may have a huge impact on your returns on investment. This happens when you move into a home and realize later that you are experiencing a residual mold problem. Since you will find it more expensive to remove the mold, you might consider selling the house to recover your investment. This makes it a bit difficult to sell the house to the next buyer because you will have to get rid of the mold problem to create a healthy environment for the homeowner.
It is impossible to tell the presence of mold by just looking at the walls and furniture in a new house. They are always hidden in areas that may be overlooked when carrying out a home inspection. Mold testing is important, as it helps to uncover the molds problem that usually goes undetected when performing a home inspection.