Will Mold Make My Pets Get Sick?


The brain fog caused by mold sickness is real! When dealing with the logistics of severe mold exposure and determining what to do with your personal items, how to fix your home or whether to move, and whether your symptoms are from mold, the number of details you must deal with can be overwhelming. 

Because of the nature of our work as mold inspectors, we are often on the front lines with our clients as they wade through the many tasks and problems caused by water intrusion and mold exposure. One of the many questions we get in the early stages of dealing with a water intrusion is “Will Mold Make My Pets Get Sick?” 

The short answer is, yes, it can. Just like people, not all pets will be affected by mold.

dog on a leather couch in a loft interior.

However, because pets are smaller in size and have weaker immune systems, it will happen much faster if they do become sick. Of course, just like people, it also depends on how many times the pet has been exposed previously and the severity of the current exposure. If the animal already has a sensitivity to mold, it can take as soon as 24-48 hours for your pet to develop symptoms.

How do I Know if My Pet Has Mold Sickness?

While it can be hard to know when a pet is sick because they cannot speak to us, most pet owners know normal behavior for their cat or dog. Anything out of the ordinary can be considered a consequence of mold illness when dealing with severe exposure. Some symptoms pets may exhibit when they are sick from mold are:

  • Difficulty breathing
  • Wheezing, sneezing, or coughing
  • Fatigue, lethargy
  • Ulcers in the nose or mouth
  • Nasal discharge or nose bleeds 
  • Loss of appetite 
  • Changes in their stools
  • Frequent urination or changes in urination habits 
  • Static shocks 
  • Excessive shedding/bald spots
  • Itching, biting, scratching, more than usual (in the absence of fleas)
  • Skin ulcers, dryness, or scaliness
  • Vomiting
  • Seizures, in some cases 
  • Personality changes 

How Do I Treat My Pet for Mold Sickness?

It is best to have your dog or cat be looked at by a qualified veterinarian. Many integrative or holistic vets are available and qualified to treat symptoms from mold toxicity. They may prescribe targeted herbal and detoxifying treatments specific to your dog or cat’s case. 

Can my Pet Stay in the home with me While We Remediate? 

Because small animal systems are so sensitive, it is best to have your pet stay with a friend or relative until you can ensure you are living in safe housing. This is the best way to protect your pet and prevent the issue from worsening. 

How do I Clean my Pet so that They do not Spread Spores to Our New Home?

Before sending your pet to anyone’s home or moving to your safe home, be sure to groom your pet thoroughly. 

  • If possible, trim or shave off as much fur as possible to prevent cross-contamination at your new location.
  • We recommend Remedy Pet Shampoo by CitriSafe to shampoo your pet’s fur. We recommend the following procedure and products: 

In Conclusion 

We know how important your furry friends are to your happiness and health! They are a special part of the family that cannot be replaced; when they suffer, we suffer. Therefore, we recommend taking all possible precautions to keep your fur babies safe. Always be sure to consult with your family veterinarian when dealing with mold exposure. 

For more tips, or if you are interested in learning how to face life’s challenges with CIRS, please follow us on Instagram and Facebook. Also, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them in the comments below or on our social media. 

And of course, please book your inspection today!  While we are always sorry to hear of anyone who has a mold issue, we do look forward to sharing our experience, insight, and resources with you!