We are often asked the question, “If I have mold, can I clean it up myself or do I need to hire a professional mold remediation specialist?”
The answer is that sometimes you may be able to do it yourself and in some cases, you shouldn’t.
It really depends on the type(s) of mold, the aggregate amount of colonization and size of the area. If you have less then 10 square feet of molds that are a type 1 allergen, generally these can be cleaned by the average homeowner using a detergent solution.
In order to determine what type of mold you have, it is recommended to first have the proper sampling and laboratory testing performed by a qualified company.
It is not recommended individuals untrained in bio-containment abatement procedures attempt to perform household mold remediation on molds with an aggregate area of contamination of 10 square feet or more (regardless of the type), or on those molds, (regardless of area), which are considered to be toxic or pathogens.
Cleaning mold can be more dangerous than you realize. Consult a trained professional for black mold removal.
Homeowners performing any surface cleaning should observe proper safety precautions such as the use of surgical latex gloves, goggles, and a N95 rated mask. If using a weak bleach solution, never mix with any compound other than water. Whether in the house or with basement mold remediation, thoroughly dry the affected area(s).
Many molds can be both pathogenic and toxic to people and pets. To ensure your health and safety and the eliminate the spread of mold spores, it is recommended that you follow guidelines of an approved authority. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is a good source. At the EPA website you can find both suggested guidelines and registered products to use as a mold remover.
Before any remediation can be successful, the first step is to identify and correct the source of water or moisture.
If you don’t the mold will grow back.